Like Me? Follow Me.
Following the Business Yorkshire Exhibition where I gave a talk on "Maximising the potential of your website" I was asked the question; " Isn't this the worst time to launch or promote your website?"
What?! The truth is this could not be a better time to start an internet business or promote your business online. It doesn't matter what state the economy is in!
- Online sales have never been stronger, study the facts; UK Retail E-Commerce Sales First half 2007 = £19.2bn compare that to the First Half of 2008 = £26.5bn that represents 38% growth!! Where else have you seen that? If you are a retailer and you are not online make it your priority.
- Unlike bricks and mortar you have access to a global market.
- Start up costs are a lot less, yes, you will need a sensible start up investment and/or marketing budget but nothing like a high street budget!
- Over 37 million online in the UK, over 1.3bn people worldwide!
- 97% of the 37 million online in the UK have shopped online! More than enough to make a profitable business!!
Do you want me to go on... Yes/NO I know you have the message.
I cannot stress the importance of you taking action, however, you need to focus and dedicate time on the following;
1. Research fully who you want to work with for your online website design, development and online marketing. This is crucial and could cost you a lot of money and time if you have the wrong partners.
2. Make sure your proposition has a unique USP (Unique selling points) and/or if possible identify the Niche Market for your products and services and focus on these when building your online marketing.
3. Concentrate on becoming the recognised expert in your field and market.
What is the cost of delaying? Well, only you know the answer to that!
In my opinion there is no better time to get your website up and running and , above all, promoted. Whilst others put their heads in the sand or procrastinate on whether this is the right time or not this is an opportunity for you! Remember the 90's! Maybe your not old enough but take it from me the companies that went out there into their markets and advertised went on to be very successful companies.
All the top economist are stating that 2009 is going to be difficult, well who am I to argue?
I know one thing! If you focus on building your companies online presence providing your visitors with excellent products, services, information and customer care you will be ahead of the majority. So don't procrastinate...
If you'd like to discuss starting a new business online in more detail with me I-COM will be exhibiting at Business North West 19-20 November at Manchester Central (Formerly G-Mex). It's free to attend and you can register for the exhibition here.